If you have been involved in a car accident and have a back injury claim it is important to make a claim with your insurance company and the responsible party's insurance company if someone else is liable for the accident. Back injuries can potentially have serious consequences. Below are steps on how to file a car accident claim for a back injury.
Steps to Filing Your Car Accident Injury Claim
- If emergency treatment is necessary seek treatment, stabilize your condition
- Contact your insurance company to file the claim, if you have filed a claim for your vehicle, the injury claim will be concurrent with this claim.
- You will be assigned an adjuster, sometimes two different adjusters, one for your vehicle and one for your injury
- You will need to give a statement to your adjuster, be very detailed about your injury
- Your adjuster will send you paperwork, including a medical authorization
- If this is a claim with your insurance company - Fill out all paperwork and return as soon as possible, this paperwork will help your adjuster to collect your medical bills
- If you have a bodily injury claim with the responsible party's insurance - Wait to sign any release until you have come to a settlement
- Speak with your adjuster intermittently regarding your treatment plan and injury status
- Once you have completed treatment notify your adjuster so they can collect any outstanding bills to pay or offer a settlement
Whose Insurance Company Should I File My Car Accident Injury Claim with?
As stated above, filing a claim with your auto insurance company is recommended. If the auto accident was not your fault you should also file a claim with the responsible party's insurance. These two claims will be independent of one another. If you are filing a claim with the responsible party's insurance they may request you also file one with your insurance company; your carrier will handle your bills primarily throughout your treatment. The responsible party's insurance will not issue any payments until you have completed treatment and come to a settlement. They will then reimburse your carrier for any payments made.
Getting Legal Help
If you feel you need assistance filing your car accident injury claim or feel you are being treated unfairly contact a qualified attorney in your area. An attorney will be able to deal with the insurance company and make sure you receive fair treatment. Your attorney will also be able to assist you in keeping your claim organized and ensure your claim runs as smoothly as possible.