Driving Without a License in Wyoming
What does it mean to drive while your license is expired, revoked, suspended or cancelled in Wyoming?
What does it mean to “drive without a license” in Wyoming?
Driving without a license can refer to three scenarios. You’re stopped for an offense and:
- You have a license but it’s not in your possession. In other words, you were licensed to drive but lacked proof, an infraction that may be dismissed once you can prove that you possessed a valid license at the time of the incident. (Note: you may have to pay a fine.)
- You never applied for a license (or your license expired). To drive legally in Wyoming, you must have a valid driver license, instruction permit, intermediate license or restricted license. Violation of this requirement is a misdemeanor.
- Your license was cancelled, revoked or suspended by the authorities. For first time offenders, this offense is punishable by a fine of up to $750. (Wyoming Code § 31-4-104).
Who doesn’t have to have a valid Wyoming driver’s license?
Wyoming exempts the following persons from having to possess a valid Wyoming license:
- employees of the United States government operating vehicles owned or leased by the U.S. government; members of the Armed Forces stationed in Wyoming, and their dependents, who have a valid license issued by their state of residence;
- full-time students attending the University of Wyo- ming or a Wyoming junior college and who have a valid license from another state; and
- any person licensed by another state which is a Driver License Compact member unless the person chooses to have a Wyoming driver license; however, their out-of-state license must be surrendered within one year of residency in Wyoming.
How do you fight the charge?
Fighting a “driving without a license charge” can be difficult. Once the district attorney or prosecutor alleges that you drove without a valid license, the burden of proof is on you to prove that you did possess a valid driver’s license at the time of your offense. If you don’t have evidence of a license, you lose! Depending on your circumstances, you may benefit from the advice or negotiating skills of an attorney.
Can an undocumented immigrant obtain a driver’s license in Wyoming?
An undocumented immigrant is not permitted to obtain a driver's license in Wyoming.