Ignition Interlock Devices in Arkansas

When is an IID Authorized?

Arkansas has legislated the use of ignition interlock devices (IIDs) for certain drivers convicted of alcohol related driving offenses. 

When are IIDs Required?

Arkansas courts are required to order the installation and maintenance of an IID as a condition of reinstatement of driving privileges when:

  • An individual who is convicted of a first or second offense DUI is required to use an IID for up to 12 months.
  • for a third or subsequent offense, the office may restrict the offender to operate only a motor vehicle that is equipped with a functioning ignition interlock device for up to one (1) year after the person's license is no longer suspended or restricted, and
  • Persons arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated by the use of a controlled substance or refusal to submit to testing are ineligible for an ignition interlock restricted driving permit.

What’s an IID?

An IID connects to the vehicle dashboard and the driver breaths into the device prior to starting the vehicle. If the IID detects a BAC above the limit programmed the device (typically calibrated at .02%), then the engine won’t start. Read more about ignition interlock devices (IIDs).

Where Can I Find an IID Provider?

IID providers are approved for installation throughout Arkansas. Arkansas IID providers include: Arkansas Ignition Interlock (501) 203-9972, SmartStart of Arkansas  (800) 880-3394, and Superior Interlock Services, Inc. (501) 796-2285.

Who Pays For it?

In almost all cases the driver who has been convicted of a DUI/DWI pays for the installation and lease of the ignition interlock system. You can expect to pay up to $100 for installation (although some companies offer free installation) and between $75-$120 per month for the lease. This is a rough estimate and your price may be higher or lower depending on your location.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys