Ignition Interlock Devices in West Virginia

When is an IID Authorized?

West Virginia has authorized the use of ignition interlock devices (IIDs) for certain drivers convicted of alcohol related driving offenses.

When are IIDs Authorized?

West Virginia courts authorize the installation and maintenance of an IID as a condition of reinstatement of driving privileges for:

  • drivers whose licenses have been revoked based on DUI-related charges or who are serving a term of a conditional probation
  • drivers who are charged with a first time DUI offense may, in some situations, elect a 15 day revocation of drivers’ license and 4 months with IID. (This election may lead to expungement of the DUI from the driver’s record under the IID Deferral Program.) First time offenders with a BAC of .15 or higher must use an IID for 275 days.
  • drivers who refuse to take a chemical test requires use of an IID for one year.
  • drivers with second and subsequent offenses require use of an IID for two years.

 What’s an IID?

An IID connects to the vehicle dashboard and the driver breaths into the device prior to starting the vehicle. If the IID detects a BAC above the limit programmed the device (typically calibrated at .02%), then the engine won’t start. Read more about ignition interlock devices (IIDs).

Where Can I Find an IID Provider?

IID providers are approved for installation throughout West Virginia. You can find a list of approved IID providers call 1-800-642-9066 or 304-926-2507.

Who Pays For it?

In almost all cases the driver who has been convicted of a DUI/DWI pays for the installation and lease of the ignition interlock system. You can expect to pay up to $100 for installation (although some companies offer free installation) and between $75-$120 per month for the lease. This is a rough estimate and your price may be higher or lower depending on your location.


Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys