Ignition Interlock Devices in Wyoming

When is an IID Authorized?

Wyoming has authorized the use of ignition interlock devices (IIDs) for certain drivers convicted of alcohol related driving offenses.

When are IIDs Authorized?

Wyoming courts authorize the installation and maintenance of an IID as a condition of reinstatement of driving privileges for:

  • 1st DUI, with blood-alcohol content of .15 percent or greater – six months of IID
  • 2nd DUI within 10 years – one year of IID 
  • 3rd DUI within 10 years – two years of IID 
  • 4th or subsequent DUI within 10 years - lifetime of IID (may appeal to the court after five years)

The suspension or revocation time period associated with an alcohol-related offense, or refusal, may be longer than the requirement to have the ignition interlock device. If an offender chooses to remove the device prior to the end of their suspension or revocation period, their driving privileges will again be withdrawn until the suspension or revocation period ends and all re-licensing requirements are met. 

 What’s an IID?

An IID connects to the vehicle dashboard and the driver breaths into the device prior to starting the vehicle. If the IID detects a BAC above the limit programmed the device (typically calibrated at .02%), then the engine won’t start. Read more about ignition interlock devices (IIDs).

Where Can I Find an IID Provider?

IID providers are approved for installation throughout Wyoming. You can find a list of approved IID providers at the Wyoming Department of Transportation website.

Who Pays For it?

In almost all cases the driver who has been convicted of a DUI/DWI pays for the installation and lease of the ignition interlock system. You can expect to pay up to $100 for installation (although some companies offer free installation) and between $75-$120 per month for the lease. This is a rough estimate and your price may be higher or lower depending on your location.


Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys