The Driver's License Point System in Utah

How Many Points Before Your License is Suspended?

The Utah Division of Motor Vehicles assigns points for moving traffic violations based on the relationship between violations and accidents. If you get more than 200 points on your driving record in a three-year period, you could have your driving privileges suspended. Drivers under 21 who get more than 70 points face the same penalty.


For drivers 21 or older, the sanctions are as follows:

  • 150 to 199 points: driver is sent a warning letter;
  • 200 points: driver must appear for a hearing;
  • 200 to 299 points: driver may be placed on probation or suspended for three months;
  • 300 to 399 points: driver is suspended for 3 months;
  • 400 to 599 points: driver is suspended for 6 months; and
  • 600 or more points: driver is suspended for 1 year.

How Many Points for Each Infraction?

Reckless Driving


Speeding (depending on severity)

35 - 75

Failure to Yield Right-of-Way


Following too Closely (tailgating)


Wrong Side of Road


Wrong Way on One-Way Street


Red Light


Stop Sign


Improper Lookout


Improper Passing


Texting While Driving


Other Moving Violations


NOTE: Except for speeding tickets, the judge can vary points up or down by 10%.

Getting Rid of Points

If you drive one year without being convicted of a moving traffic violation, half of the points on your driving record will be removed. If you drive two years without a moving traffic violation, all of the points on your record will be removed.

You can also remove 50 points from your driving record once in a three year period by attending an approved defensive driving course. Defensive driving courses or traffic safety schools are established or approved by each government and court jurisdiction. Contact the court in the area in which you received the ticket to ask if it has a list of approved programs

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys