Disabled Parking Permits in Indiana

How to obtain plates and placards

To qualify for disability parking plates or placards (sometimes incorrectly referred to as  “handicapped stickers” or “handicapped hangtags”) in Indiana an applicant must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Has a temporary or permanent physical disability that requires the use of a wheelchair, a walker, braces, or crutches;
  • Has temporarily or permanently lost the use of one or both legs;
  • Has restricted mobility, either temporarily or permanently, due to a pulmonary or cardiovascular disability, arthritic condition, or orthopedic or neurological impairment; or
  • Is permanently blind or visually impaired.

Disability parking placards are also available to companies or associations which transport or provide facilities for persons with physical disabilities.

The Application

You can seek either plates or a placard by completing and sending in Indiana’s application for disability parking identification. You may also apply at your local DMV.

Types of Disability Access Parking Plates and Placards in Indiana

  • A disability parking placard issued to an individual with a permanent disability will expire only upon physician’s certification that the disability is no longer considered to be permanent.
  • A placard issued to an individual with a temporary disability is valid for six months from the date that it is issued, or until a date indicated by the physician certifying the application, whichever occurs first.
  • If your current placard has an expiration date, you must apply again when it expires. Your new placard will not have an expiration date.

Abusing Disabled Parking Privileges

A 2013 law doubled Indiana's fines for motorists who illegally park in parking spaces designated for the disabled. The new law made the minimum fine for parking in a disabled spot without a permit from $50 to $100.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys