How to Get a Handicapped Parking Permit in New Hampshire

Learn how to obtain disabled plates and placards in New Hampshire.

To qualify for disability parking plates or placards (sometimes incorrectly referred to as “handicapped stickers”) in New Hampshire, the applicant must be characterized as having a “walking disability” which means a disability which limits or impairs a person's ability to walk, as determined by a licensed physician, podiatrist or an advanced registered nurse practitioner, to such an extent that such person:

  • Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device; or
  • Is restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person's forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one (1) liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest; or
  • Uses portable oxygen; or
  • Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person's functional limitations are classified in severity as class 3 or class 4 according to the standards set by the American Heart Association; or
  • Is severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, orthopedic, or other medically disabling condition.

The Application

You can seek either plates or a placard by sending in New Hampshire’s application for disability parking identification. You may also apply at your local DMV.

Types of Disability Access Parking Plates and Placards

There are two types of walking disability placards: Temporary and Permanent. Temporary placards are authorized for up to six (6) months, and Permanent placards are authorized up five (5) years; however, they do expire and must be renewed

  • Permanent Hanging Placards: An applicant who qualifies for walking disability privileges may apply for a removable windshield placard containing the international accessibility symbol. Those with permanent disabilities shall be issued a blue placard with white lettering, not to exceed five (5) years. Placards are assigned to an individual, not a vehicle. The placard shall be removed from the rear-view mirror when the vehicle is in motion. There is no cost for this placard.
  • Walking Disability Plates: If you have a permanent disability that qualifies you for walking disability privileges, you may apply for walking disability plates containing the international accessibility symbol and a distinguishing number. An exchange of the plates you may currently hold must be made at the DMV in Concord. Plates are signed to a vehicle, not an individual. There is a charge to replace your plates. If it is not your renewal month, additional applicable fees may apply. 

Abusing Disabled Parking Privileges

Parking illegally in an accessible parking space carries a fine of $250.

Out of state

New Hampshire recognizes out-of-state disability permits. However, not all states may recognize New Hampshire disability permits.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys