Disabled Parking Permits in Vermont

How to obtain plates and placards in Vermont

To qualify for a disability parking plates or placards (sometimes referred to as a “handicapped sticker”) in Vermont, the applicant must meet one of the conditions described below and must obtain a licensed physician’s certification prior to the initial issuance of disability access placards. Vermont requires that the applicant:

  • cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest; or
  • cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device; or
  • is restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person's forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest; or
  • uses portable oxygen; or
  • has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person's functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association; or
  • is severely limited in his or her ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition.

The Application   

You can seek either plates or a placard by filling out filing Vermont’s  application for disability parking identification as well as completing a Universal Medical Evaluation, or if the disability is temporary, completing a temporary disabled application Contact Vermont’s Department of Motor Vehicles.

Types of Disability Access Parking Plates and Placards

Vermont issues placards and license plates for:

  • Renewable Disabled Person Parking Permit – valid for four years
  • Temporary Disabled Person Parking Permit -- A temporary permit is valid for the length of time the physician deems necessary, not to exceed 6 months.

Abusing Disabled Parking Privileges

Drivers in Vermont who abuse disability parking may have their vehicles towed and may be subject to a fine of $271.

Out of state

Vermont recognizes out-of-state disability permits.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys