Moving traffic violations are those that occur when you are behind the wheel. Non-moving violations occur when the vehicle is stationary and usually turned off. If you are charged with any type of non-moving traffic violation, there are still penalties and fines. However, only moving violations go on your driving record.
What Happens in Non-moving Traffic Violations?
If you receive a ticket a non-moving violation, you do not have to worry about that charge hitting your driving record and increasing the points on it. However, this is still an important charge to deal with. In some cases, these costs can escalade, too.
When you commit a non-moving violation, you will receive a ticket. The ticket will give you options for paying the fine for the violation. In most cases, the costs of such tickets is minimal compared to the larger costs of taking the case to court to prove that you are not guilty of the charge. However, if this is something that you feel strongly about, you can take the case to court. You can then use numerous defenses to prove you should not have to pay the non-moving traffic violation. For example, this may include stating that parking meters did not work, emergency situations requiring you to violate the time limitations or mistakes in the traffic violation process.
What are non-moving traffic violations?
There are many examples:
- you get a parking ticket for an expired meter.
- you get a parking ticket for parking in a no parking zone.
- you do not have a handicap permit, but park in a parking spot designated for handicapped individuals.
- you stay in a parking area that has a time limit too long.
- you have broken or missing mirrors or license on your vehicle.
- your vehicle is missing a license plate.
These articles may also assist you:
- How to Fight Your Ticket
- Why Did They Stop You? The Visual Cues
- When Does an Officer Have it? Probable Cause: 5 Things to Know
- The Most Important Document in a DUI Case: Police Report FAQs
- Don't Get Bullied: Making a Plea Deal: 7 Things Every Driver Should Know