Wyoming’s Commercial Driver’s License Laws

The requirements to obtain a Wyoming CDL and the reasons for disqualification.

Whether used for farming, delivery, or transportation, Wyoming issues commercial driver's licenses (CDLs) to authorize the operation of different commercial motor vehicles (CMVs). Each license has different rules and requirements and can be revoked for rule violations. This article outlines the requirements for obtaining the different types of commercial licenses and the circumstances that can lead to license disqualification.

When a CDL is Required

Wyoming considers a CMV to be any vehicle designed to carry hazardous materials, 16 or more passengers, or that weighs 26,001 or more pounds. Firetrucks, military vehicles, and government snowplows are exempt from licensing requirements. Farmers, farmers' families, and farmers' employees can also be exempt when operating not-for-hire farm equipment in-state or within 150 miles of the farm.

Wyoming's Commercial License Classes

There are three classes of CDLs based on the weight of the truck and/or trailer(s).

Combined Weight

Tractor Weight

Trailer(s) Weight

Class A

26,001 or more pounds

26,001 or more pounds

Over 10,000 pounds

Class B

26,001 or more pounds

26,001 or more pounds

Less than 10,000 pounds

Class C

26,000 pounds or less

26,000 pounds or less

Less than 10,000 pounds

The CMV's weight must be within the CDL's permitted limits. For example, a class A CDL can be used to operate any weight of CMV.

Cargo and Passenger Endorsements

Transporting passengers or hazardous materials also requires CDL endorsements. Each endorsement requires additional testing and is added to the CDL after issuance. For example, a hazmat endorsement requires the driver to be at least 21 years old and complete a TSA security threat assessment.

License Restrictions

A CDL can come with certain restrictions. Drivers under the age of 21 will have a "K" restriction, prohibiting out-of-state operation.

CDL Testing

Prior to applying for a CDL, all drivers must obtain a commercial learner's permit (CLP). The CLP requires the applicant to be at least 18 years old, hold a Wyoming driver's license, complete the vision exam, and pass the written knowledge examination. After holding the CLP for 14 days, the applicant can take the driving test to acquire a full CDL. Military veterans with CMV-operating experience may be excused from the skills test requirement.

Medical certificates. A licensed commercial driver must possess and maintain a current medical certification. The certification is performed by a physician and ensures a driver is healthy enough to operate a CMV. Certain individuals may obtain a medical exemption waiver but their driving privileges will be restricted.

Disclosures. After acquiring a CDL, the driver is required to disclose any future traffic convictions and license suspensions to his or her employer. Prior work history must also be disclosed.

CDL Revocation and Disqualification

Failure to follow any of the many CMV-related rules can result in CDL disqualification. Wyoming prohibits conviction diversion programs for CDL holders and a disqualified CDL cannot receive a hardship status.

Serious traffic offenses. Wyoming considers speeding 15 miles per hour or more over the limit, reckless driving, erratic lane changes, following too closely, and any traffic violation involving a fatality to be a "serious traffic offense." Driving a CMV without a CDL or with the wrong endorsements is also a serious traffic offense but will be dismissed if the driver presents a CDL that was valid at the time of the citation to the court. Having two serious traffic offenses in three years will result in a minimum 60-day revocation. Having three serious traffic offenses in three years will result in a minimum 120-day revocation.

Out-of-service orders. Certain actions, like driving a CMV after consuming any alcohol, will result in the issuance of an immediate, but temporary, out-of-service order (OSO). Driving in violation of the out-of-service order will result in CDL disqualification based on the number of prior violations in the last ten years.

  • First offense. 180-day to one-year license disqualification (180 days to 2 years if in hazmat CMV or passenger vehicle designed for more than 15 passengers).
  • Second offense. Two-to five-year license disqualification (three to five years if in hazmat CMV or passenger vehicle designed for more than 15 passengers).
  • Third or subsequent offense. Three-to five-year license disqualification.

Railroad crossings. CMVs have special safety rules regarding railroad crossings. The driver must obey all traffic signals and ensure the CMV has proper clearance to completely cross. A violation will result in a 60-day, 120-day, and a one-year disqualification for a first, second, and third offense.

Major offenses. A CDL will be disqualified for at least one year for being convicted of any of the following "major offenses": chemical test refusal or failure, DUI (driving under the influence), DUI in a CMV, leaving the scene of an accident, using a motor vehicle in the commission of a felony, driving a CMV while disqualified, and negligently causing a CMV-related fatality. The disqualification will be for at least three years if the violation occurred in a CMV designed to carry hazardous materials. A second major offense will result in a lifetime revocation. A driver can request reinstatement after ten years but must show completed rehabilitation. The production or transportation of controlled substances using a motor vehicle will result in permanent lifetime revocation.

Implied consent. All commercial drivers are deemed to have given consent to the chemical testing of their breath, blood, or urine. A police officer with probable cause to believe the driver has any amount of alcohol in his or her system can request that the driver submit to testing. A test failure or refusal will result in an OSO order, license disqualification, and other possible penalties.

Get Professional Help

Talk to a Traffic Ticket attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you